Forum.

Windsurfing after a Knee Relpacement

All things windsurfing!

Windsurfing after a Knee Relpacement

Unread postby dave d » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:25 am

Hi guys and girls ... I've been told that I need a total knee replacement, bit of a bummer, but I've been suffering the pain for years just taking the tablets to keep going.

Does anyone know, or know of, anyone who has had this done who still windsurfs? Would love to talk to anyone who might give me a heads up on this.

Thanks Dave D
dave d

Re: Windsurfing after a Knee Relpacement

Unread postby Wayne » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:45 pm

Never say never Dave, I have seen amputees winsurf and ski. My mother has had two knee replacements she is 86 goes dances four times a week and watching her walk you would never know she has two prosthetic knees. The only problems you may or may not have are with water starts? you seem to have a limited knee bend, this will be determined by the wind strength, the stronger it is the easier it is to waterstart? "kneeling down to weed the garden are definately out" ;)

Good Luck!
Wayne

Unread postby tom » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:27 pm

Hope so Dave.
A lot of us at the lake would really miss your positivity.
I think it justifies going somewhere warm, windy and flat (and reasonably gentle) to find out.
All the best and I hope your not thinking of buying a sailing dingy just yet!
tom

Unread postby johnw » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:40 pm

Margaret says she'll put your name down for "Strictly" Dave. Of course being my number 1 buddy I'm going to miss you most so here's to a very swift recovery :)
johnw

Unread postby jamieedodger » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:27 pm

Dave! Just happened to be mincing round on the site looking for kit and spotted this, my dad just had a knee op yesterday and from what I hear after 6 months should be back to normal. He doesn't windsurf though, so a bit irrelevant. Hope all is well other than the knee, and wishing you a full and speedy recovery in time for some late season blasting!
jamieedodger

Unread postby chrishair » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:43 pm

Dave, you can do anything you want if you put your mind to. My dad had both knees done 12 to15 years ago, after a year had full recovery. Lots of info on google about sport after knee surgery, kneeling seems to be the only problem. Hope all goes well, take your time to recover and we will see you when your better.
Windsurf count- lost count in June
Equipment failures - 2
Wanted-
chrishair

Unread postby GavD » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:17 pm

Don't know about knees, but Tony Champion has been windsurfing for years with both hips replaced. Hope it works out for you.
~ it's an art not a science ~
GavD

Unread postby Tony Champion » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:29 pm

Dave, You will certainly be able to waterstart easily but in light winds you may have to adapt your technique slightly because one leg won't bend far enough to get your body close to the board; so use the good one! Your problem will almost certainly come in sub waterstarting winds because you will have trouble getting to a standing position on the board. My wife has had both knees done and she can just about kneel but it hurts and is not recommended, so you will have to crawl onto the board, get our weight on the good knee and push yourself up off the mast until you can squat on the good leg and then stand up. This will probably not be an option on small boards or bumpy seas. Personally the bit I find hard is getting from the kneeling position to the squat because the lack of bend in the hip joint means I have to push up from further up the mast and if I hold that position for too long it sinks and I topple ignominiously into the sail. I suspect you will have the same trouble.
Anyway don't sell your kit yet, my physio told me I would never sail again but I have had many good days sailing since that day 15 years ago and hope to have a few more yet despite entering my dotage.
On more thing; successful joint replacements are much more common amongst those who do the physio and work the joint hard but take care not to overload it. Good luck!
Tony Champion

Unread postby Tony Champion » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:45 pm

Dave, one other thing I forgot. My wife claims that she can't swim because of the weight of metal in her knees! Obviously she can but apparently her legs tend to sink more than they used to. I don't see this as a potential problem but it might be as well to be aware of it.
Tony Champion

Unread postby Tony Champion » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:46 pm

Dave, one other thing I forgot. My wife claims that she can't swim because of the weight of metal in her knees! Obviously she can but apparently her legs tend to sink more than they used to. I don't see this as a potential problem but it might be as well to be aware of it.
Tony Champion

Return to General Discussion